41(R) TES at 100
On 14th July 2016, Number 41(Reserve) Test and Evaluation Squadron celebrated one hundred years of history.
Formed on 14 July 1916, Number 41 Squadron was based at the airfield of St Omer in northern France. The airfield is not only the spiritual home of the Squadron, but also that of the Royal Flying Corps as a whole. Since 1937 No. 41 Squadron has been very proud to carry the double armed Cross of St Omer on the Squadron Crest.
The Squadron Standard bears the echoes of the past: The Western Front; the Somme; Cambrai; Amiens; the Battle of Britain; Fortress Europe; Dieppe; France and Germany; Gulf 1991 – echoes which speak of the impact that our forebears have made on the history of the UK and the globe; These moments in history have been reflected in the many remembrance items over the last 12 months, from the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain to the more recent 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme.
To celebrate our Centenary, the Squadron held a Centenary Parade, led by Commanding Officer 41(R) TES, Wg Cdr Steve Berry and overseen by Reviewing Officer, former Officer Commanding 41 Squadron (1994-1996) Air Marshal Sir Christopher Harper KBE MA CCMI RAF. The parade marched to the music of the Band of the Royal Air Force Regiment. The parade was blessed with beautiful weather conditions for the 300 guests and Squadron association members attending. The formal parade was completed by a mixed formation flypast of Tornado and Typhoon.